F-ing Diabolical

Weeds in a sidewalk

Mordria Nemes

image.png.bdb3848e34fd62fe4f1da7106e216fe3.png

Mordria had a fondness for plants and she tended her own garden as well as many other plants but she never gave a second look at this weed. She passed by it many times on her way to get coffee.

The weed was stubborn, like so many things in the world. No matter how many times someone stepped on it as they walked by it continued to grow and flourish. There just was no stopping it. That was until a child plucked the flower from it as it walked by and then stomped the yellow into the ground.

It was an imperceptible thing, something no one would normally notice. Even as Mordria walked past it on her way to get her morning coffee, she didn't precisely notice it so much as that the morning was not quite the same as it normally was. It was off but she couldn't exactly put her finger on it.

She stood in line at the coffee shop and tried to pinpoint it making her distracted even as the line moved forward.

Annie was going about her daily morning routine, getting coffee at her favorite place. Wig and costume off, it felt so much different just being out in her normal clothes. Annie January was so different from Starlight, it really felt like an altogether different person. Which in fact…it sort of was, even as she checked the time. She didn’t have to be at Vought Tower until later this afternoon, so she had the entire morning free.

Which was good, as she’d wait her turn in line behind a woman at the shop. The tv was blaring in the background, as she would hear it suddenly go to a news bulletin. Something about a robbery…but she was off the clock. Technically. She turned, as she saw a child pass by, stomping on a weed on the sidewalk, and turned back, eyebrow raised slightly. Something about it put her off for a second…

Shaking her head, she rubbed her eyes, as she sighed. The line seemed to slow to a crawl, as the person in front was taking forever to order now. “Funny, how the line always stalls right when you have to be somewhere…” she would opine to the other woman, just giving her opinion… granted, she didn’t know if she were expecting a response, but what could it hurt to strike up a conversation in the coffee shop?

“Just saying. I have errands to run, and does that guy in the front really need to have ten different ingredients added to his triple-mocha deluxe? Or do you think I’m thinking about it too much?” Anyways, it felt good to be out here…at least doing something normal like grabbing a coffee. She didn’t know how much longer she could do this, but at least for now, she could go out normally without too much hassle. At least, she hoped.

Mordria seemed to shake herself from her reverie as the woman talked to her. She didn't hear the first part but smirked as she listened to the rest. Unlike Starlight her deformity was apparent on her skin though she didn't seem to notice or care. "I think its all a plot to see if people are listening," she said to the other woman. "Its almost like a tactic. If it ends up being bad then they missed an important ingredient... it can't just be that they have bad taste," she said back.

@MATT

As the other woman turned to face her, it was then that Annie would really notice her. So she was a supe too, although whether that was an appearance supe only or not, it was difficult to tell. Nevertheless, it was funny to her that two supes should have appeared in the same line here. The odds for that….probably had to be quite low, she was well aware of that much at the least, as she smirked and shook her head.

“Probably… you’d almost have to wonder why they bother coming here in the first place,” she replied back, just wishing she had her coffee sooner more than ever. She couldn’t really function without it some mornings, but if the guy in front of her needed it more, she’d be more than happy to do so. After all, wasn’t that part of what being a hero was all about? Nevertheless, she sighed, rubbing her head.

But making idle conversation in a coffee line, that seemed up her alley, as she’d hear the tv continue to drone on somewhere in the background. “So…I take it you’ve seen people like this guy here before?” That did sound rather natural, and she had no way of knowing whether or not this woman was a regular, as this was not one of her usual coffee stops, more like something she’d seen on the way to going somewhere.

Mordria figured it was for free coffee. It was cheaper and faster to complain to management for some people. "Not him," she said with a contemplating frown. "People like him," she said to the other woman. She hadn't been taken aback by her spots so that either meant she figured she was a supe or that she had dealings with them. There was also the unlikely possibility that the woman was also a supe, though as she looked at her thin figure that wasn't completely off the table.

"The way you really know," she said to the woman, "is if they hyper stare at the barista as they make the coffee. They are looking to find out what error they made so they can complain. "Really I just wish they'd get back down to earth," she advised the other woman.

@MATT

“Makes sense, there’s always a few just like that guy.” Entitled people, whether they were a supe or not…it was sadly something that she’d seen all too often. Some people could be obnoxious about things for sure, other times, they might be just plain rude. Annie thought it might be a mixture of the two here, it was hard to tell sometimes, but maybe the easiest solutions were often the ones that worked.

Annie shook her head, smirking slightly. “You can say that again…look now they are calling for the manager.” Just right on clockwork, she’d have expected a move like that from this person. Some people were unwilling to be told ‘No’ for an answer, and were just this obnoxious that they’d have to take it as far as they could, however far that they could stretch it. She shrugged, curious to see how this would go, probably they’d be here for a while.

"This is when you wish you were a supe with a super power of shutting up Kevin's and Karen's," she said as she rolled her eyes. "That would likely be the most powerful super power in the world," she smirked. "I'm Mordria by the way. Its good to see that you're not buried in your phone like most people."

@MATT

Annie smirked slightly, she didnt have that power, but her light would probably make him shut up in a second. "If I had that ability, let's just say it would be much more peaceful around here," she said with a chuckle. Turning back to the other woman, she nodded in agreement, as she didn't really use her phone that often except for emergencies. "I'm Annie. Yeah, I feel that it's the case with a lot of people, get so distracted, they don't take time to really connect with others because of that wall they put up."

"I think its a sort of fear," Mordria admitted as she stepped forward and was one step closer to the cashier to take her order. "Its people afraid of branching out. My mama always said that the best way to meet a new friend was to talk to them directly. If you didn't then there was no way to tell if they were telling the truth," she said to the other woman.

@MATT

"I mean I get that. People are afraid of anything different in their daily routines. Even if it's just a delayed coffee." Annie observed that sometimes when she was out in the field, out there with the Seven. Sometimes there were people who would be receptive to their help, but other times there were these that were outright hostile. She was glad to be that much closer to the counter though, as she nodded. "Your mother sounds like a smart person. Although I will say that sometimes the most gifted liars are these that tend to talk the most." She had also seen that in her day to day life, not just in her hero life...

Edited by MATT

"They talk," she nodded. "At the end of the day they don't grow anything but a seed of disgust," she shook her head as she glanced to them growling at the manager. "And you just made me realize what was missing today. Thank you Annie," she smiled to her. "I don't think I would have realized it without you."

@MATT

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm glad I got you thinking today," Annie said with a slight smile as she stepped closer to the counter, the line was moving easily now. The person complaining was already being asked to step over to the side, as Annie gave Mordria a shrug. "Although this time...it looks like they are getting what they want." Maybe that was just the way the world worked, sadly. Still, she'd rub the side of her head, feeling more than a bit tired already. "So you decided what you wanted to order, yet?"

Mordria nodded as she grinned glancing to the board as if she didn't know already. "I normally get the same thing. I like the Chai tea with almond milk," she said with a wave of her hand as if to dismiss it.

"To be honest, I'm here nearly every day when I work," she advised the other woman. "Its convenient, its on the way. Pretty pathetic I know but we are all creatures of habit aren't we?" she asked the other woman as the line progressed one more person forward, she was next. "I don't think I've seen you here before. Are you a new regular?"

@MATT

"Haven't tried that one... maybe next time..." Annie mused, with a wistful look in her eye. Indeed, she was always up for trying new things, up to a certain point. Depends on just what it was after all. The manager was already out, no doubt there to deal with all of the complaining.  "Really? The manager is even giving them the time of day?" That was more to herself than meant to be out loud, but she wouldn't deny that was something she was privately feeling. That they shouldn't have been humored in this way.

"I'm thinking I should come here more often," she said with a slight smile. Working for Vought could be tiring, having to be in Starlight mode a lot of the time, but she thought that she was handling it fairly okay, better so than most people for the time being. "Yeah. Just decided to pop in today to see how it was. Was actually recommended this place by a friend." She nodded, as if it should be clear. But time would tell if this place was worth the time or money, considering that it seemed to have people like the loudmouth in the front.

Mordria chuckled as she glanced over to the man as he repeated his order. She wasn't even sure she was willing to pay attention to it anymore. He was out of the line and others were getting served as they complained about the service and the fact that it took forever to get their drink. Eventually it drowned out in her head to the 'wah-wah' sound of the teacher from Charlie Brown cartoons as she paid more attention to her new in-line acquaintance, Annie.

"Its pretty good I think. At least for a chain coffee shop," she said. "I prefer the coffee and tea that I make at home but this has convenience that getting up a little later affords me when my boyfriend keeps me in bed for an extra half an hour," she said with a grin. "Its just hard to beat home grown stuff in my opinion," she advised. "What do you plan on getting?"

@MATT