F-ing Diabolical

Blast from the Past

Annie January

The man spat in Brittania's face. "Eat me," he snarled at her. The fear was rooted in him but the arrogance that Vought wouldn't let him die over this was a greater feeling. He was one of their best super villains. He didn't realize that he was just as expendable as the next person and that this encounter wasn't likely to turn out in his favor at all.

@MATT@Britannia

The back and forth continued for a bit, before Starlight was confident that the man wasn't going to break so easily...or so he thought. Clearly, he had a high opinion of himself, but she'd seen people like hat before, as her own and started to light up. Not that she would do this often, but maybe Hughie was rubbing off on her a bit....the company you keep and all that. The light would shine brighter, as she waved her hand in front of his face.

"Fine...be that way," she said softly, as she held the light more in front of his face. Looking up at Brit, she believed the other woman might be effective in interrogation techniques as well. Starlight was just trying to scare him a bit. After all, not like her first time using light like this to get what she needed...as she thought with some twinge of regret about that guy in that car that time. That had been an accident... "Why don't you tell us what we want to know?" The light shone brighter...in front of his face.

The old supe gave something akin to a snarl, wiping the spit away from her face with the back of a gloved hand. Her tone was still rather nonchalant as she looked to Starlight for a moment, almost as though she was just casually discussing the weather rather than preparing to use some "enhanced interrogation techniques" on their captive. 

"You may want to look away, miss. I'm afraid that making this man talk could get a little messy. Right. Down to business."

She leaned in a little harder, pressing the shield into the man but being very measured in just how much she did so, applying just enough to cause pain but not enough to do any real damage. "You clearly know at least something of who I am, considering how this malarkey of yours seemed to be targeted. With that in mind, how far do you think I'm willing to go to get the information I need?" She then shifted position slightly, moving over a little, her eyes glowing and her hand sparking right over the man's left hand. "You have ten seconds. Talk, or you will never use that hand again. After that I will move on to your other one and perhaps even get a little more creative. How do you think you'll do without your fancy little darkness shaping tricks, hmm? "

tag @MATT@Morrigan

There was interrogation and then there was his family. He lost his son in a divorce but what the women didn't have was that information and well... Vought did. So even as his hand got tingly and his eyes saw sparks despite being closed all he did was cry out in pain as they each tried to do their worst.

If he died his son would live a good life and that's all he really ever worked for despite always being the villain in these things. Vought wouldn't just let him die right? He would get severely injured and they would retire him but. "AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! GOD THAT HURTS!!!!!" he screamed as he tried to wriggle away but the weight of the shield was about as heavy as a beam of concrete.

@MATT @Britannia

Starlight looked at Brit...there was a certain hardness in her eyes. While not at that level, it was something she'd seen in the other supes around her, Homelander, Noir...even Maeve to some extent. "I'm not going anywhere," Starlight replied. After all, she might have been all new to whatever was going on here...but she would get to the bottom of this. At least as a member of the Seven it was her duty to do so.

The man for his part, he didnt seem to respond, even as the 'enhanced interrogation' continued. He was made of some sterner stuff, it seemed, and Starlight heard his screams. Yeah, he was not going to be giving in easily, as she bit her lip. She'd seen this shit before. All that would happen was this guy would be reduced to a quivering mess rather than talk. Placing a hand on the man's shoulder, she faced Brit. "Allow us to take this man into custody. I do not know why he attacked you, but as a member of the Seven, I have the resources to be able to get some answers..."

She could see that this man seemed resistant to torture. But again, there were always ways around it. People who had mental powers, for example... brute force wasn't going to cut it here. But...she did know the value of making good on threats as she looked at Brit, swallowing. "After all... he only needs one good hand to be able to write with right?" She was not used to using the stick, but sometimes, it was the only language some people understood.

Starlight's response got a raised brow and even a slight smile from the woman. Safe to say, she was not expecting the woman dressed as a 'circus performer' to have so hard an edge, but, it was definitely something she could work with. "Five seconds." Her tone was still just as harsh as it was before.  "This is your last chance." 

She was just about to fire off a burst directed at his hand, more a warning shot really rather than anything designed to cause lasting damage, when Starlight spoke again, this time mentioning the "Seven". Britannia paused, frowning for a second, trying to put the pieces together. "The Seven? I can't say that I've heard of that particular name." Perhaps the performer attire was just a front? An infiltration technique perhaps? Just what had she stumbled in on here? "A branch of the police perhaps? Certainly a strange uniform for such a thing, I don't suppose you would have any identification to that effect if that's your profession?" 

She kept the pressure on, though, still holding back from doing anything actually harmful to the man, more doing so as just a reminder that she indeed hadn't forgotten about him. "If you have the resources to detain this individual and get the information we need, I'm sure my government will want to follow up with you on this matter so we can get it all settled."

Tag @MATT @Morrigan

• 2 weeks later...

The comment about her government earned a quick bark of laughter before the man groaned. "You two are psycho bitches," he spat at Britannia though he closed his eyes before he saw if it actually landed on her face. "You may as well kill me because who I work for would rather I be dead than talk," he advised them. "And they'd make sure of it before you could get anything out of me," he said.

His head lolled to the side as he thought about his son. This was for him, it was always for him even if he didn't know it. "Are you both going to prattle on or get this over with?" he muttered to them both as he looked up to Britannia, seething a little at how long this was taking.

@MATT @Britannia

Now that they had given the man an ultimatum, Starlight knew that they couldn’t back down- it was going to make them look weak. “Five…four…” she began counting down, her hands glowing with each step as she heard the man cuss the both of them out. Indeed, she felt her patience rapidly running out… What was going on? Back when she’d joined the Seven she had been young and idealistic? How had it come to this? “Two…one-“

The light shown as she was shining the light directly in his face, amplifying it as much as she could. The nearby lamppost flickered as she was drawing power, yet she didn’t care. This was about sending a message, getting him to talk. Starlight believed that she wouldn’t go so far as to actually hurt him…that would be going ‘too far.

Looking up at Brit, as she put her hands away, she sighed…hoping it worked. “You’re…new in town I take it?” She pointed up, above them was a billboard for the ‘Seven’ with Homelander front and center, and her near the edge of it. “Is that enough ID for you?” She wasn’t sure what this woman was getting at, although the tone of her voice sounded genuinely confused.

Again she nodded, keeping the man up from falling via holding his shoulder. “Sure. I can get people over to detain him straightaway. You don’t have to worry…might want to stick around so we can take your statement too.” She didn’t think it would take that long anyways, although she figured that it was probably best they got this whole thing over with sooner rather than later in any event.

• 2 weeks later...

The old supe raised a brow, and simply gestured towards the still misty hole in the ground and dented in cryopod door. "New in town? Yes, I suppose you could say that." She said. "Although by the look of things, I may have actually been here for quite some time." She paused, looking around for a second, her eyes scanning over the skyline, tracing for landmarks. Almost everything about it looked almost alien to her. Strangely smooth buildings of seemingly made of nothing but impossibly strong glass glinting in the moonlight jutted up higher than the cloud layer. The noise too, the noise was all wrong, the noise and the smell.

Then, her search turned to the billboard. That was just as confusing, it seemed to be an advertisement of sorts. Perhaps a movie poster? She looked at it for a bit, taking in the details. As "ID" went, it wasn't exactly convincing to her. In fact, it simply added more credence to the whole "performer" theory she had earlier. Still, it also furthered the burning question she had in her mind that she'd almost been too scared to ask. 

"Say, what year is it?" She finally asked, her tone wavering ever so slightly from the firm, businesslike 'stiff upper lippedness' it held before. "I am assuming by some of the buildings this is New York, no?" 

TAG: @MATT @Morrigan

The new supe seemed to react in a very nonplussed manner to Starlight’s reveal. For that matter, the blonde just watched Brittania carefully. Eyes narrowingly, she figured she could always ask the specifics later, but it wouldn’t escape her notice how carefully this woman was watching around her, how unfamiliar it obviously was to her. Little things like that, she seemed to pick up on… There…

There it was. “It’s Two Thousand Twenty-Two…and yes you’re in New York. Just…maybe changed a bit since you’ve seen it last.?" At this point, her theory was essentially confirmed. This was a woman out of time. Interesting…not that she found any reason to be overtly concerned, but just to note this…she did feel that was something to keep in mind for the future.

For a second there, she eyed the woman, just making sure of something. Then she made up her mind. “After we get this guy in custody, maybe we can you know…talk. I think there’s some stuff you might want to catch up on.” Indeed, now that the light was a bit better, she could see the battlefield clearer, including the ‘hatch’, if indeed that was what it was. Maybe she needed to be the one to give this woman a debrief.

• 1 month later...

"Seventy six years." She reached a slightly shaking hand into one of the pockets on her uniform, pulling out an old cigarette case, its contents seemingly just as well preserved as she was, and struck a match. The old supe's eyes continued to trace over the skyline as she took a long pull, trying to find anything familiar amongst the glass and steel monoliths that dotted the city beyond the park and finally responding to Starlight's question with a simple "Yes. Yes it has."

Britannia nodded to Starlight's suggestion of talking more later, even putting on a small smile again for a moment. "That would probably be for the best. I imagine that I have missed a lot of history from down there. How time flies..." Another pocket reached into, this time her hand came out of it holding an old pocket watch of all things. She gently tossed it up and down in her hand a couple times, before tweaking the crown, twisting it three times left, and once right, muttering something about it being a shame about losing such a thing, before tossing it into the pit she had crawled out of just a few minutes ago. 

KRAK... fzzzz....

The hole in the ground glowed brilliant shades of red, gold, and orange! Sparks of molten metal and thick black smoke flying from its depths, the fireworks lasting all but a few minutes until they finally died down again, returning the park to silence once more. "Well, that seems to have worked. Can't be leaving any secrets behind for just anyone to stumble into now, can we?"

TAG: @MATT @Morrigan

Now that was when Starlight felt her eyes widen a bit. Yes, that was more than a bit odd. But not unheard of. “Welcome to the future.” She quipped, as she watched the other Supe light a cigarette, clearly a bit shaken. Who wouldn’t be…to wake up in a distant and unknown future? It was clear that was something not too many people would be well prepared to handle- if any could be said to handle it.

“You’ll have time to catch up,” Annie repeated, as she took a hand, placing it on their captive’s shoulder. She had already messaged covertly for the appropriate authorities to take him in, now that he had been more or less neutralized. There was no real reason to go any harder on him than needed…at least, she didn’t think she was at that level yet. Maybe eventually she’d get there…but not just yet.

A hand on her hip, she watched as the grenade sparked in the pit, no doubt that there wouldn’t be much to find. “I suppose not. They’re still going to look anyways, you know.” She sighed, this was a long night, but it certainly could always get longer, she supposed. Still, there was a few things that they needed to get done. “But I could give you directions if you like…to a debriefing of sorts, if you’re up for it.”